Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Wet (Really) Works: AAC Evo 45

On Saturday morning, I took a short trip to the Wyoming Antelope Club to test fire my HK USP-CT with its new Evolution silencer from Advanced Armament. After setting up two targets at a modest 10 yards, I put a few 5-round groups down range, unsuppressed, just to verify my zero. Then, I screwed on the EVO 45 and took a deep breath. The first group was a little to the right, but that was just my nerves kicking in. So, I took another deep breath and tried to relax. Subsequent groups were tight and dead center, but after 25-rounds, the can was really starting to cook. It was time for a cold range and a break from the action.


The Evolution series from AAC are feature rich silencers. They're really a breed apart from everything else on the market. A unique piston system called A.S.A.P. allows semi-automatic pistols to cycle with impressive reliability. If you install the included spacer into the system, the silencer can also be used on fixed-barrel applications like the Heckler & Koch P7, UMP, or MP5.


If for some reason I was off zero after installing the can, I could have utilized the Evolution's unique adjustable zero feature. Using it, you can make adjustments to the point of impact simply by varying the orientation of the can in 36 degree increments. The process is quick and easy. With the unit installed, just pull the silencer body away from the host firearm about a quarter of an inch, then rotate 1/10 turn clockwise or counterclockwise. Release the silencer and it will snap back into place, resulting in a new orientation and zero. Luckily, I didn't even need to do this. It was good to go, right out of the box.


For a .45acp, the Evolution is exceptionally quiet. The report resembles a Black Cat firecracker, or a .22 short cartridge. However, if you really want to go silent, the AAC allows you to run wet. The Evolution's design retains 5cc of water for improved sound reduction. So, I took a sip from my bottle of Zephyrhills and poured the rest into the rear of the EVO. Shake out the excess and you're good to go. People on the firing line may give you a funny look and ask a few questions, but that's what Class 3 is all about, right? Boy does water make a difference! I don't know the exact dB reduction, but it's night and day. Totally hearing safe and what a wonderful sound. It's music to any shooter's ears and quickly drew a crowd. So, run your EVO wet for best results. An added benefit is that it keeps the can relatively cool. So, when you're done shooting you don't have to sit around for 20 minutes waiting for your silencer to cool.


If you're in the market for a pistol silencer, try the Evolution series from AAC. Now that I've shot the 9mm and .45acp versions, believe me, they won't disappoint you.


Have a good one.

-- Evan

aac evolution 45


aac evolution 45


aac evolution 45


aac evolution 45


aac evolution 45

No comments: