Monday, June 30, 2008

The $335 Benelli M4

This is the story of my $335 Benelli M4. Well, technically it's a limited edition Marine Corps M1014, but I'll get to that in a minute...


Benelli M1014: Special Edition



Last month, a friend of a friend came into the shop. He's done business with us in the past and was selling off several guns in his collection in a futile effort to quench the unquenchable thirst of his Hemi-powered Ram. What is the world coming to, I thought? Among them was his pristine Benelli M1014. You know-- the limited run of 2500 M4 Super 90s produced in 2003-2004 that featured a Marine Corps collapsible stock and an American Flag engraved on the side of the receiver? I remember when we did the transfer for him on this shotgun a few years ago. Surprise: he still hasn't fired it! How much did he want for this Ferrari of shotguns? $1000 cash-- for a friend. Sold.


After playing with the two-position collapsible stock (which is supposedly only for sales to military and law enforcement), I realized I don't have much utility for such a feature. After all, I don't wear body armor, so a standard length of pull suits me just fine. After some shopping on Gunbroker, I find that these stocks by themselves are selling for $600! The little recoil tube that enables them to collapse is another $200--BY ITSELF! So, I call my buddy that deals in Benelli and buy an OEM Super 90 pistol grip stock for $135. Voila! We have a $335 Benelli M4.


Marine Corps Stock Set + Two-position Recoil Tube = $800


Benelli M4: $335 Edition


Perhaps you won't have this kind of deal fall in your lap. But a less expensive Benelli M4 could be in your future too. These M1014 special edition shotguns are floating around GunBroker.com in the $1500-1800 range. Buy one, sell the stock, and purchase an OEM Super 90 pistol grip set and you're essentially knocking $500 off the price. Plus, you get the special edition American Flag engraving that will confuse and impress your range buddies.


Khoa Engages Clays with the Benelli M4 at the Manatee Gun & Archery Club


Have a happy and safe 4th of July, my friends. I'm going to shoot off the Winchester 10-gauge cannon again, so wear your ear protection if you live in my neighborhood! God bless America and stay On Point.

-- Evan

No comments: