Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Concealed Carry Perfection: Glock 26


When it comes to concealed carry, I think a lot of you are in the same boat as me. You need a daily carry gun that works in all styles of dress-- or lack thereof in my case. Although I'm a firm believer that you need to dress around your carry gun, I still require a solution that works in the pocket as well as it does in my ever-expanding waistband. That's why on most days, I carry the Glock 26 9mm subcompact.


The reasons are many, but reliability has always been paramount. Glocks run dirty, cold, wet, dry, run over by an F350 SuperDuty, and hanging inverted using a Teeter Hangups. You can count on it and it WILL go bang when you need it most. The only malfunctions I've ever experienced with my Glock 26 were my fault: mainly the incorrect installation of an extended slide lock. Thankfully, I caught this potentially dangerous mistake by range testing the gun after the part's installation-- an important step anytime you modify your weapons system. So, reliability is reason number one for carrying my baby Glock.


Reason #2 is accuracy. You've got to make hits count with your concealed carry weapon. I've found that the little G26 can make 25 yard hits and group as well as its bigger brother: the model 19. The trigger is superb-- especially when you add a Scherer 3.5lb connector. Some naysayers lecture about the possible legal ramifications of having a "hair trigger" installed in your carry gun. I say you shouldn't have your finger anywhere near the trigger unless you're ready to fire and you shouldn't brandish your weapon unless you're prepared to use it. It's also better to be tried by twelve than carried by six.


Reason #3 for carrying the Glock 26: parts commonality and scalability. The G26 uses every Glock 9mm magazine in existence. These are very common in the LE and civilian communities, as well as all over the world in military and security units. It shoots a common round: 9mm Para. So, you're almost always able to find ammunition and mags. The G26 will accept flush fit 10-rounders (ideal for pocket carry), 15rd mags from the G19, 17-rounders from the original model 17, and 33rd stick magazines designed for the fully-automatic Glock 18. Some shooters like to say they use a handgun to fight their way back to their rifle. With the Glock 26, you can fight your way back to your 33rd stick mag! In my personal carry G26, I prefer adding the Glock +2 extender for pocket carry-- affording me a robust 13+1 capacity. Want to run a suppressor? No problem. I had a Glock 19 barrel threaded down, but Storm Lake makes a match-grade 1/2-28 threaded G26 barrel for around the same price.


Reason #4: there's something for everyone. With Glock, you either love OR hate the grip angle, feathered trigger, and polymer frame. If you're one of the Glock faithful, there's an entire cottage industry devoted to aftermarket accessories for your gun. You have your pick of the litter when it comes to holsters, iron sights, lasers, lights, recoil springs, internal parts, and other gizmos. When a new product is introduced in the shooting industry, you better believe you can get it for your Glock(s).


[click here for the Glock 26 photo gallery]


Here are some pics of my current model 26 set up just the way I like it. I did the grip stippling myself using a soldering iron. The night sights are Novak's. The trigger connector is a 3.5lb Scherer and the magazines are all factory Glock. I used to pocket carry with an Uncle Mike's Size 4 holster, but have recently embraced the Nemesis by DeSantis. In the waistband, my old Galco 2nd Amendment holster has served me well for many years. If you're looking for an affordable concealed carry piece that's utterly reliable, accurate, and easy to maintain and accessorize, take a look at the Glock 26.


Also, we're just $2100 away from our goal of $7500 for the Night Stalkers. Please send out this link to anyone you think might be interested in donating to this good and just cause:


http://www.onpointsupply.com/cart.php?target=news&mode=view&news_id=209


That's all for today, my friends. Have a good one and God bless.

-- Evan

No comments: